The high ground for any brand is the story. It’s what we should be aiming for. A brand where part of what people buy is the is the history, or to be part of a tribe. Johnny Walker has put together a great new campaign where they tell their story. It’s a 6 minute time investment worth taking.
Some things worth thinking about with the Johnny walker story:
- It’s a long copy format. 6 minutes plus. Something which can’t be done on TV.
- It circumvents the negative connotations with success and globalisation. The personal effort and history makes financial success more palatable.
- It gives detail about the product, range and brand that just wouldn’t be possible in shorter media formats
- It’s sharable. Easy to send to friends, worth talking about.
- It’s eyeball worthy. Well shot and executed.
- It’s the idea. Ideas are king again, not media. Any brand with a story, and a small level of film / web expertise could have done it.
- This is clearly Radvertising
What does this mean for startups? It means that a large part of what we talk about should not only be how we got here, but why we are taking this journey. A story they can live vicariously through.