I recently got an email from a domain name provider called hostess.com.au. It was about selling domains names with some recent examples. The title of the email was ‘Your domain name could be worth big dolllars’.
Here’s a screen grab.
It’s easy to think that this type of behaviour is ‘unethical’. But the reality is we live in a capitalist society. Speed and noticing opportunities is a key business skill. So my view is if you’ve savvy enough to find and speculate on domain names and make some cash – good luck to you. There is no shortage of examples of people who’ve made a bundle doing it.
So how to do it? Well, here’s a couple tips on some people have done it:
- Spelling mistakes of popular domains. Then sell advertising or back to original (Tiwtter.com)
- Buying the .com of popular country specific domains. Eg www.theage.com – they sell advertising.
- Moving quick on new words, phrases entering the common vernacular. (eg tweet, roadrage, soccermom)
- New brand name launches
- register technology advances, and economic terminology. (GFC.com?)
- Short words of a made up nature. Popular for startups.
I’m sure you can think of some other ideas, or methods used in such speculating…. be sure to add them in the comments.
I am on Twitter – Click here to follow me